Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Sunglasses Kind of Day

After Katie died I had many days I called sunglasses kind of days. I just never knew when I would start crying so I wore sunglasses a lot, even in Target. Four years later, I still have sunglasses kind of days and Saturday, May 1st was a sunglasses kind of day. We came to California for Donate Life's annual walk/run where we walk in honor of Katie. When the organizers found out we were coming from Virginia, they asked us to be a dove basket family, and we were treated as VIPs. We started with a VIP breakfast.
You can't really see me, but here I am on the stage getting a picture with the VIPs. I'm holding up my Team Katie sign (third sign from the right), and I'm standing right next to the band All for One and the news guy from channel 7.
Melissa and Tony
Our crowd waiting for the opening ceremony.
Jessi, Cortney, me and Rylee. The girls volunteer and wrapped hot dogs. They have serious hot dog skills after doing this for two years.
Me and the Rogan girls.

I love this picture of Team Katie.
The kiddos.

So happy to see Cortney.
At many Donate Life events, they release doves in honor of our loved ones. I remember the first time we saw them release doves at a Remembrance Ceremony about six months after Katie died. I cried then and I cry every time I see this. For us to be chosen as a family to release the doves was a great honor. The post after this one shows us releasing the doves on video.
I love this picture of Faith.
When the opening ceremony was over, Faith still tried to open our basket to let the doves out, even though they were long gone.

We love you, Katie!

6 comments:

Hess Fam said...

This is all a 'sunglasses kind of post'. I love it. All of it. *Tears*

Pulcheria said...

What a beautiful day in memory of a beautiful little girl. Thanks for sharing your remembrance.

Kathy said...

Great posts Natalie. I have loved reading all about your trip to California. You have some amazing friends and I'm so glad you got to do that for Katie! Tyler was just talking about his cousins Spencer and James. I love that he thinks of them as family. We know we do!!!

Dani said...

Oh Natalie, I am so sorry that we missed this special day and seeing you guys. I was crying just reading it, remembering how wonderful it was last year. We love you guys!

The SoCal Jones' said...

So glad you were able to come! What a special trip. It was really nice to see you. Hope to see you again soon!

Brooke said...

Isn't it interesting that sunglasses are used for sunshine and tears. Your blog posts always bring sunshine when I read them. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful moment.