Since I will be in the hospital on Doug's birthday this year, and since it is his big 4-0 birthday, we celebrated early by running the Amazing Race today, a total surprise to Doug. I must admit it has always been a dream of mine to be on the Amazing Race, and I'm pretty sure this is a first for an almost nine-months pregnant lady to be running it. We started with a group picture.
The contestants: The Roneys, Jones, Fields, Dolsons, Sorensens, Hansens and Browns.
On your mark, get set, GO!
First stop: Petsmart
Each team had to buy a gold fish and carry it with them throughout the entire race.
Second stop: Teams had to look for this Halloween decoration and search for the clue box.
Once there, teams had to cut the corn off 12 ears of corn in honor of Field Family Corn Day.

Since Doug raised chickens on the farm, teams had to search through 1,000 plastic chicken eggs looking for the flag of the Dominican Republic, where Doug served his mission.
The third stop was the killer. One team member had to eat two pieces of bread then run a mile in honor of the running Doug did in law clerk/baliff training.
Then throw a football through the hula hoop honoring Doug's days on the football team in high school.
Next stop: Gross Eating Challenge
Teams had to eat Doug's signature dish as a college student: tortilla, graham crackers, cheese, taco sauce and whipped cream. (OK, so he didn't actually put taco sauce on it; that was an addition made by the producer).
I didn't have time to eat all day getting everything ready, and I have to admit it was pretty good, taco sauce and all.
Next stop: Singing the Idaho state anthem, "And Here We Have Idaho." Grandma Field would be proud.
Next stop: Countries and Capitals. Doug has always been proud of his knowledge of countries and their capitals, just ask Cortney.

At the end of the race we jumped on the "Mat." We didn't win, but it was a fun race.
At the end of the race, we ate dinner and for dessert...
birthday cake with 40 candles.
Happy Birthday Doug!
Hope you had a good one, even though it hasn't actually happened yet.
Maybe I can get a good nights sleep tonight now that it is over.












17 comments:
The most fun I have ever had at a birthday party!! Natalie should do this as a professional birthday planner gig. I feel so loved!! I had no idea she was working on all this and it must have taken hours. I have the best wife!! And thank you to all our friends for doing this with us - you are all the best, too! Next time we'll have a film crew and put it all to music to make it even more dramatic and exciting. To all our other friends and family, send us your audition tapes and maybe you'll be able to be in the next Virginia Amazing Race!
That was AWESOME, Natalie! What a spectacular 40th birthday celebration.
Such a cute, fun idea! I'm going to have to steal it for kyles birthday one of these years.
Oh my gosh Natalie!....and how cute that Doug just gave you such mad props! Happy Birthday Doug!
I'm making my audition tape now!
Natalie...if you have that 'script' written up...would you mind emailing it to me? You are THE funnest gal I know. Period!
That sounds like such a blast. I am so impressed with the creative idea. I love it!
You are the busiest pregnant lady I know! Looks like so much fun!
That is the BEST idea ever!!!! You are so clever. I'll have you know that Ken and I actually applied for the show when we were first married.
Seriously the coolest thing I've heard of in a while. You are the coolest wife ever!! Good job, Natalie!!
How awesome!!! What a great idea! Aaron and I LOVE Amazing Race and totally want to be on the show. Maybe we'll just plan one of our own! Happy Birthday Doug!
Happy birthday Doug. I am so sad that you aren't still in CA I would have loved to participate in the amazing race!
AMAZING!!!!!!! I want that for my 40th birthday. You always do the best activities. Happy birthday Doug and good luck having that baby.
I love the fish bag on your arm, best idea and I was rooting for the team with the bandanas. Looks like as much fun as the real thing. Happy Birthday Doug! We missed you in Utah but that is where we planned alot of your party.
this sounds sooo fun! i laughed when i saw the capitals part!
Looks like so much fun! Way to go Natalie! Now you can relax until the baby comes (I hope.) Thanks for the birthday card! You guys are so sweet.
Natalie--you're killing me! The O.C. housewives have NOTHING on you! What a memorable birthday. You really put so much effort into making sure everyone around you feels so loved and celebrated. And I love the "Corvette" and Faith's darling shoes--sooooo cute to see her tooling around the neighborhood!
Happy Birthday Doug! You do have an awesome wife! Seriousy Natalie! You have outdone yourself. I want a copy of this script too. Nicely done!
Overachiever wife of the century!! Gosh, you make the rest of us look bad! :-)
Post a Comment