Sunday, January 19, 2014

Walk About (or Run)

We didn't climb Uluru.  The climb to the top was closed because it is always closed in December, January and February because of the heat.  Our friends in Alice Springs told us we could have just walked past the gate that said it was closed and fines would apply and climb it anyway.  We didn't know that, and it is strongly discouraged from the aborigine people.  Instead of climbing it, Doug took the kids on a little walk around part of it.




















 While Doug was walking with the kids and taking them to the bathroom, I ran around Uluru.  The base walk around Uluru is 10.6 km.  We got there about an hour before the sun went down, and I knew I could do 10 km in an hour.  It was an unforgettable run to be running around Uluru, but I must admit there was a time I said to myself, "What the heck am I doing?"  I was alone, it was getting darker, every stick looked like a deadly snake and I reminded myself there are dingos out there.  Needless to say I finished the Uluru 10k and lived to tell about it.  

No comments: