Right after Katie died, Doug's Grandma and Grandpa Stephens donated six books to the Pleasant Valley Branch of the library. At the time of her death, the library hadn't been built yet. Now it's there, so we went to look at it this week. This gallery is named after Doug's grandma since they donated the land, and Grandma worked as a volunteer for years at the main library.
It is a beautiful library--way modern!
We found two books that were donated in Katie's name. When you open the front cover, the first thing you see is, "Presented in Memory of Katie Field." The other four books were checked out. I wonder about the people looking at these four books. Are they moms reading books to their little children? Do they stop to read this tribute to my daughter and know that while they get to read to their little one, another mother lost hers? How could they? But because of these books, they know Katie's name.

Of course we had to read the two books we found. They are beautiful stories about moms and grandmas and loving little babies and keeping them in their hearts. What a wonderful way to keep Katie's memory alive.












10 comments:
very special.
What a wonderful tribute. Thank you for sharing such a sweet story.
That is so sweet. The library looks wonderful. I love that you can celebrate Katie's life in so many ways.
Thanks for sharing. That is so neat.
I've never heard of that kind of memorium and I love it. I will keep that in mind.
I'm feeling verclempt...seriously. I love the picture of Faith playing with the book.
That is just awesome. I'm totally crying, how wonderful. What a fun library for the community to share in too.
That is really cool. I bet there are a lot of mothers who stop and read the front. I know I have thought a lot about Katie. I'm so sad we missed seeing you guys at the South Riding Reunion. Let us know when the next one is, we will be there for sure.
I teared up reading this post. I love how her name will be remembered and known by so many. She is a special spirit that will keep touching so many.
That is the sweetest thing.
Post a Comment