Monday, May 2, 2011

She Would be Five

Dear Katie,
Five years ago today we met you. You were the tiniest little thing with the most perfect little face, fingers and toes. Oh how we fell in love with you, and not just because you were a sweet baby girl after two wild boys. Everyone who saw you smiled. We couldn't believe a baby could be so little.

We loved your smile and then your giggle.
Can it be five years? Sometimes I feel that it was just yesterday that Dr. Endo led us all in singing happy birthday to you in the OR when you were born. And yet, I can't remember a time when I wasn't hollow with wanting you and missing you. All the kindergarteners are already registered for school this fall, and I've cried because you won't be joining them.
We threw a party for you today. Here are your flowers.
Here's your birthday dinner.
Here's big brother Spencer.
And your little sisters who never met you in this life, but we are teaching them about you.

Here's your big brother James.
Here's your birthday cake. Do you like pink as much as Faith?

Spencer lit your candles...
and Faith blew them out.

We ate your cake, but we wanted you here to eat it with us. We love you, Katie. Not a day goes by that I don't think of you, want you, and wonder what you are doing. Happy Birthday my sweet angel.

13 comments:

Amy-Sue and Gian Del Bello said...

What a sweet post about your sweet Katie!

Marilynn said...

Happy Birthday my little sweet angel granddaughter. We had a party for you also at your grave site - there were cupcakes and balloons that we sent up to you and a big rendition of the birthday song just for you. We watched the balloons until we couldn't see them any longer - until you were able to grab them. You are truly missed and loved here on earth and I'm sure just as loved in Heaven. Mammy

Unknown said...

Tearing up here... what a sweet post. She is lucky to have such an incredible family :)

Cortney said...

Happy birthday Katie, You are truly missed baby girl, I love you.

Richard & Tiffany said...

What a sweet angel - happy birthday Katie! Thank you for sharing your tender moments with us.

Megan said...

Natalie, I have the biggest lump in my throat and teary eyes. I just caught up on your last few posts and I'm so sad I didn't get to give you a squeeze while you were here.
Katie's life and your family has impacted so many of us. I just love you to pieces. One of these days I am going to get this darn walk on my calendar so I can go!!! It looks like such an amazing/special event! Hugs to you.

Kelly And Andy said...

As I read this I just began to cry. I so know how you feel. She was here for a short time bu made a huge impact on the lives she came in contact with. I know that on the other side she is doing the same, changing the people she meets forever. It was great seeing you while you were here. Happy Birthday Katie!!!

The Ferre Family said...

Natalie, Thank you for being willing to share your story. I remember volunteering in Isaac's kindergarten class and having it hit me that Abby would never be one of those cute little kindergarteners. It's funny how little things can open your heart right back up. I think the sadness that is just part of your life losing a child must just make your joy more exquisite when we get to see them and hold them again. Everything becomes more precious, including our testimonies of our Savior and His promise of eternal life. Much love, Jen Ferre

ashcraft8 said...

Tears, We love you guys and are always in our thoughts.

Ashli said...

Natalie, that is so sweet. She is lucky to have you as a mom, even if she is just watching and learning from you above :) We love you guys!

Kallie said...

Natalie,
We just want you to know that we love you guys and think of Katie often. You are such a wonderful family. I am so sorry that Katie cannot be here with you now. You will have a wonderful reunion with her someday and she will know how you always think of her.

Mark and Kallie

Rush said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart. What a sweet post about a sweet girl, my heart still aches for you & your family.

Totally Hess said...

Natalie - I'm late on checking your blog and now I'm in tears when I should be working!

Also, for the Goodluck Shelby - my sister was doing a movie with them and got them to take a bunch of pictures with Shelby on a stick around the set.

Miss you guys!