Saturday, October 8, 2011

Get Your Craft On

Ten years ago, my friend Shellie and I decided to try putting our skills to work. With three kids between the two of us, we tole painted our way to our first craft show at an outdoor festival in Sterling, VA. It was such a small event! It was held outside at a time when the Sniper was scaring everyone in the DC area and no one would go outside for fear of getting shot. Good times.

After our first show, we entered Broad Run High School's craft show and did that a few times before I moved to Long Beach. Don't you love these pictures?

Guess what? We're back. Shellie and I, along with our friend Kara, entered the Fall Festival in Fairfax, VA. With 13 kids between the three of us, we managed to crank out enough inventory to sell.
Here's our little booth full of great stuff we stayed up all night, literally, making. We worked like dogs to get this ready.
This is the kind of stuff I made. Thanks, Jeri, for the great idea of this witch. Our first customer bought two of these, and I was sold out in the first 30 minutes.





Along with wooden blocks and signs, I made 200, yes 200 hair bows. They were not huge sellers since there was too much competition. I guess all the girls in my family and extended family will have a great supply of hair bows from now on.

I made these headbands too.

It was a beautiful day. The crowds were great. It was by far the busiest craft show we have ever done and we made decent money. Everyone loved our stuff and told us how "fab" we were and wanted our website. I need to thank my family for letting me do this and be willing to have most things neglected so I could eat, drink and sleep crafts for the week before the show. They have had to live in a house that looked like a craft bomb exploded and I appreciate them. I also need to send out a huge thanks to Steve from Blue's Clues, Dora, and the gang at the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for the tremendous job they did babysitting Faith for a month. I think I've proved to everyone that I cannot work and be a Mom of four kids at the same time. I've sworn off crafting...until the end of the month when I'm doing Super Saturday. I think I need a nap.

4 comments:

The Reno Donnelly's said...

Your stuff looks so cute. I would have bought something from you. Your witch and spider are awesome.

Richard & Tiffany said...

Fantastic!! I love all of your stuff. You did a great job on the bows. I am sorry that they didn't sell better.

The Browns said...

Great job. I hope you did something fun with the money. :]

ashcraft8 said...

Love your stuff as usual. Glad it was successful.