Thursday, May 2, 2013

She Would be Seven

 These pictures are from a time and a place when Katie was alive.  I love them.  They help me mark time and realize how long it has really been.  Seven years ago today we didn't know that our lives were about to drastically change.  We didn't know when Dr. Endo (the best doctor in the world) led everyone in the OR singing "Happy Birthday" to Katie that it would be the only time we'd do that in her lifetime.  
 We didn't know that this would be one of the last pictures we took of her...
or that this would be one of her only family vacations with us. But seven years ago we also didn't know  the full extent of the amazing goodness of the Lord, appreciate fully the blessings of such amazing family and friends, or the peace of knowing that the Lord truly is over all.
Seven years.  This year has been especially hard for me.  I think it has a lot to do with all of those sweet  children in Connecticut who were killed.  I grieved all over again for Katie as I grieved this terrible event.  It hit home knowing that Katie would be the same age as these little children who died.  As each year without Katie continues to pass us by, I realize more and more this isn't something you can say, "Glad that trial is over."  It's never over.  
 We made her a cake and celebrated her life.






 Seven years and seven flowers.
Faith made sure to tell people that we were making a cake for her big sister, but she couldn't eat it because she is a spirit.  Happy Birthday, Katie!  How we miss you!!!

4 comments:

jenny said...

May the blessing of the time you had with her live on in you forever and the reality that you will see her again bring comfort and peace to your hearts. Celebrating her birthday is a special day to remember her that I think keeps her with you in a way the kids can remember. Blessings to your family

The Browns said...

Thanks for sharing and thanks for making me cry! Love you!

The Ferre Family said...

Thank you so much for your post, Natalie. It really touched my heart. You're right. One of the General Authorities gave a talk the conference before Abby died about losing his little boy (how little did I realize how personal his insights were to become!). He said,(and I'm paraphrasing) that "we never stop mourning him, because we never stop loving him." The pain becomes softer and usually flows rather seamlessly with day to day life. But there is always that hole, that space where your child should be tugging at the corners of your heart. And, you are right. I would not have it any other way. How lucky we are to know that some beautiful day, that hole will be filled to overflowing as we hold our little girls in our arms again and keep them forever. The Savior's promise of eternal life truly is the greatest gift in my life, and, I know, in yours. Much love, jen

Iv said...

Weeping. I love you Natalie. Thank you for sharing your beautiful day and being an exceptional example of light and fortitude through the trials you've been called to bear. I would love to hear more about your sweet Katie and all the little things that made her her. Xoxo